Monday, August 22, 2011

An Open Toed Letter

Little Toe....
So here I sit and ponder your existence.
What is the point of you?
When I command your siblings to move, they do so as a team.
Yet you sit about like a 400 lb diabetic stuck in a trailer watching reruns of Judge Judy.
In fact, when I think of you, a miniature version of the mother from “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” comes to mind.
You’re all hunched over and shunned from your brothers, and you hide slightly behind one of your siblings.
You know the one, that slightly larger fellow who acts like he has your back but is just as ashamed of you as the rest of the family.
 And the reason for that is because he is sick of you getting in the way.
 He sees the rest of your family moving freely, but when he tries to do so himself, you hold him back, restricting his movements.
So they all wonder, as well as myself, what life would be like if you weren't around.
Do you have cerebral palsy?
Because you have a crooked bend to you.
Perhaps it’s just Scoliosis.
I can say without a doubt that if I had to pick a body part to lose it would be a tie between the left pinkie toe and the right pinkie toe.
 Perhaps if one was terminated the other would step up his game and pull his own weight for fear of following quickly in your shoes.......

But then a glimmer of light upon the dark horizon.
A ray of golden kissed sunshine on a bleak and grey dismal day.
 What could it be?
 Oh yeah, it's science and it informs me that you do have a purpose.
Perhaps the most important job out of any of your so call superior and larger siblings.
 You are gate keeper to the strength of my balance, perhaps there is hope for you yet.
I may need the entire family to stand, but if you decided to walk out of my life I would be left so cautiously walk thru this world.
No more running as swift as a gazelle.
 Say goodbye to being able to jump over obstacles and land safely.
Nay, without you my world would be an endless montage of tripping, falling and utter lack of coordination.
Pinkie toe, you keep me grounded in every sense of the word.
Please accept my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.
Can you ever forgive my foolishness?
What was that?
You can?
Thank you from the bottom of my heart old friend.
I never should have doubted you.
And yes, you do make a good point.
I finally see the light.
You have lifted the heavy satin veil from my eyes.
Pinkie fingers, you almost slipped by like the greased up useless pigs you appear to be.
The phalanges and I are in a unanimous decision.
 You have coasted by for far too long.
Now wear did I put that knife?

No comments:

Post a Comment